Book Review - Every Day

I just finished reading Every Day by David Levithan, so it's time for a book review! (This review had previously been posted here.)



Here's the description from Amazon:
Every day a different body. Every day a different life. Every day in love with the same girl.
There’s never any warning about where it will be or who it will be. A has made peace with that, even established guidelines by which to live: Never get too attached. Avoid being noticed. Do not interfere.

It’s all fine until the morning that A wakes up in the body of Justin and meets Justin’s girlfriend, Rhiannon. From that moment, the rules by which A has been living no longer apply. Because finally A has found someone he wants to be with—day in, day out, day after day.



~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

First I want to say that I absolutely loved this book. I was a little iffy at first about something written in first person since those can be kind of hit-or-miss, but in this case it worked incredibly well. With a protagonist who switches bodies on a daily basis, third person narration would have just made for unnecessary confusion. With a character who essentially only exists as thought, getting inside A's head in first person felt right.

This book was recommended by a close friend who knows well the types of books I enjoy and she was correct in guessing that I'd love this one! I love when books have a LGBTQ spin to them and when that's combined with an interesting fantastical premise, I'm sold. I found the protagonist to be charming and sympathetic- heck, I just plain enjoyed reading a story told from A's point of view. The story is thought-provoking and emotional. I'm not always a big fan of love stories, but I found this one enjoyable and genuine. Yes, A fell in love quickly, but it didn't feel forced or creepy or anything like that. It just felt like a teenager falling in love. (How fast the relationship started is something I've seen people comment about in other reviews.) I'm finding it hard to put into words what I liked about this book since it managed to pull at my heart in all the right ways. I think I'm too infatuated to be coherent.

I actually spent the first twenty pages or so wondering if I was going to like it or not, largely because the style was rather more poetic then I'm used to reading and I came into it a little leery of first person narration. I'm glad that I stuck with it because once I got into the story the rest of the book was amazing! I finished it in less than two days (rare for me when I normally get distracted by other books and hobbies so it take much longer than this to finish a book despite being a fast reader) because I kept saying to myself "just another chapter, then I'll put the book down". The next chapter would come and go and I'd keep reading because I wanted to find out what life A would end up in next.

The only thing I can say about this book that is anything less than positive is that the ending felt somewhat rushed or unfinished and I will admit that it left me just a little disappointed. (Although that could be because I didn't want the book to end!) When I talked to the friend who recommended it to me, she told me that the author is going to be writing a sequel. In that case, I don't mind the ending nearly as much and I will gladly read this as soon as it comes out. (2015? That's too long from now!) The subplots could have been fleshed out a little better, but overall, this was a great read.

I'm giving this book 4 1/2 stars. It's not quite at five because there were a few flaws, but the great outshines the few flaws in this book. I'll definitely be reading more by this author.

CONVERSATION

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Back
to top