Relationship songs for the “Unexpected Inspiration” trilogy

Another writing playlist post! I’m still trying to sort out songs for my characters and the various relationships (romantic and not) in this series, but it’s such a convoluted web of how everyone is connected to everyone else. For now I’ll just go with romantic relationship songs. Even that gets kind of blurry! Anyway, some bands double up, but that works since they’re for the same relationship. I have info about my characters here, if you’re curious who these dorks are. Click the song titles below to hear them on Youtube.

First, my trio who eventually become a triad once they sort out their accidental soul link. Whoops.

Adair (to Blythe and Etri)
Hanson – "If Only"

I want to hear you say
It'll always be this way
We'll be hand in hand for every night and every day
I want to scream and shout
'Cause I'm losing any doubt
And all I care about is you and me and us and now

Blythe (to Adair and Etri)

Pat Benatar – "We Belong"
Maybe it's a sign of weakness when I don't know what to say
Maybe I just wouldn't know what to do with my strength anyway
Have we become a habit? Do we distort the facts?
Now there's no looking forward
Now there's no turning back

Etri (to Adair and Blythe)

Hanson – "For Your Love"
I know I was made to find you
Our fates were always intertwined
And you’re the dream I’d go to
Every time I close my eyes
Like the northern star you guide me
When I journey far from home
And now that I have you beside me
There is no way that I’ll let you go

And in book 1 I have Talan/Firedrake. They’d been a couple for a while, but it doesn’t end well. Or end the same species either of them started. Whoops again.
Firedrake (to Talan)
Enter the Haggis (Jubilee Riots) - Unsteady
The first time I saw you I was broken and bruised
You were holding up the bar and I had nothing to lose
It's all a little hazy now, tell me
When did we get so damn proud?
Made a few mistakes, but I made them with you
And every time we said that we were gonna pull through
Something feels different now and it’s not me

Speaking of not ending well, book 2 gives me Adair and his ex/"it’s complicated" Feren. "Complicated" doesn’t even begin to describe the mess that Feren makes of the plot of book 2.
Feren (to Adair)
The Fray – "Over My Head (Cable Car)"
And suddenly I become a part of your past
I'm becoming the part that don't last
I'm losing you, and it's effortless
Without a sound we lose sight of the ground
In the throw around
Never thought that you wanted to bring it down
I won't let it go down till we torch it ourselves
Adair (to Feren)
The Fray – "How to Save a Life"
Step one, you say we need to talk
He walks, you say sit down, it's just a talk
He smiles politely back at you
You stare politely right on through
Some sort of window to your right
As he goes left, and you stay right
Between the lines of fear and blame
You begin to wonder why you came

And there’s the mess that Firedrake and Sol become in books 2 and 3. Frankly, everything’s a mess all of the time for all of my characters. That’s comedy! Or maybe I just like writing characters who never have any control over the plot?
Sol (to Firedrake)
Neon Trees – "Sleeping with a Friend"
And why mess up a good thing, baby?
It’s a risk to even fall in love
So, when you give that look to me
I better look back carefully
‘Cause this is trouble, yeah this is trouble

~Meri

CONVERSATION

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Back
to top